Friday, May 11, 2007

and more purses




been busy again with purses the past 2 months. seems like spring=gimme more bags/totes/purses...just too bad i don't make shoes, too! everyone seems to be pregnant, know someone who is, will be..not that i'm complaining...i enjoy the challenge. it tickles me to run into someone with a "steff" purse. the first time was at a mall 45 minutes from here..so it was pretty exciting. i felt like a star for about 5 seconds, before i felt a tug at my shirt..my son, grant, with ice cream on his shirt. oh, reality check!


i've started resin jewelry again, and working with beads, as well as kanzashi. having short attention span is the pits! i can't seem to commit to one project alone. hmmm maybe there's some pseudo-freudian claptrap to be pondered there, ja?


anyhooo, i've had my assistant (and i use the term generously), jason, helping me..since i'm sadly lacking in any drawing skills (though i manage to communicate my ideas well...good thing he understands squiggles & sticks)..well, jason's been my draft technician. it's a prestigious position, really, practically thankless. he's been great about making patterns out of my rambling gestures & vague sketches.

i've been equally blessed in my friends, too. my friend, melissa, has my purses displayed at her shop windows..right in front of the county courthouse. not too far, as it happens, from my friend, dana's bookstore..where my purses are lovingly displayed, too. dana gets the older, more conservative crowd=simple totes & bags. melissa's salon (karma) caters to the younger clientele, i've got the hobo's, the granny bags, the french shopping bags. glitters, buckles, faux stones, the works. either way, it's always a challenge to try to come up with ideas, color combinations. definitely no time to snooze!


i will be..branching out, as it were, at summer's end. i have sketches of aprons, headbands, tops, bibs, layettes, etc. i don't want to burn out doing the same thing all the time..knowing my propensity to be distracted & derailed when i get bored, i had better make sure i have enough variety...or i'd be in a catatonic stupor before long!


i have yet to set up my etsy shop, too. ok, i have it set up..just have nothing in there to sell. zippo. there's so many talented women in there with all the wonderful work they do with purses, i think i'm a bit intimidated. one of these days, i will have extras in hand to be able to, though..plus i would really like to have more than just purses, though. i want a veritable orgy of choices! (one can dream). for now, i'm content with what i have..a small, but thriving enterprise (i like the sound of that!). my plans for the future currently on paper...rather, papers..as there's a number of haphazardly sketched designs. with luck, and a lot of hard work....








No comments: